Military forces loyal to the Saudi-backed government-in-exile of Hadi, have stormed several camps of the so-called Shabwah Elite Forces, which are loyal to the UAE-backed Southern Transitional Council. The Hadi loyalists reportedly took control of the camps and drove out the separatist militias, southern sources reported Friday after midnight.
The occupied Shabwah province is witnessing fierce battles and clashes between the UAE-backed Southern Transitional Council’s militias and the Saudi-backed Hadi forces.
Southern sources said on Friday midnight that fierce clashes erupted hours befor between the two sides at the entrance of Ataq city. Thes clashes have since reported to have widened and spread to several other areas.
The sources pointed out that the Southern Transitional Council’s announcement on stopping the war and its call for its troops to cease fire came as an attempt to save its militias. The STC is reported to have suffered major losses, despite receiving UAE backing and reinforcements from Aden.
A leader in the Southern Transitional Council had already predicted on Thursday that the conflict in Shabwah province had not ended.
“The match is 90 minutes in total, and in case of a draw there are penalties,” Ahmed Saeed bin Brik wrote on his Twitter account, comparing the conflict to a football match.
“Shabwah and its elite resistance forces are still in the first quarter [of the game],” he said. The STC leader also stressed that the “whole south is with the people of Shabwah province” in the conflict against the forces loyal to Hadi.
The occupied south of Yemen has seen fierce conflict based on widely different strategic plans for the future between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. Whereas Riyadh seeks to establish a united Yemen under a puppet regime led by Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi, the Emirati invaders have an apparent interest in making southern Yemen secede from the Republic of Yemen and establish itself as a satellite state loyal to Abu Dhabi.